Physics - the study of matter, energy and their interactions - is an
international enterprise which plays a key role in the future progress of
humankind. The support of physics education and research in all countries
is important because:
In summary, for all these reasons, physics is an essential part of the
educational system and of an advanced society. We therefore urge all
governments to seek advice from physicists and other scientists on
matters of science policy, and to be supportive of the science of
Physics. This support can take many forms such as:
- Physics is an exciting intellectual adventure that inspires young
people end expands the frontiers of our knowledge about Nature.
- Physics generates fundamental knowledge needed for future
technological advances that will continue to drive the economic
engines of the world.
- Physics contributes to the technological infrastructure and
provides trained personnel needed to take advantage of scientific
advances and discoveries.
- Physics is an important element in education of chemists,
engineers and computer scientists, as well as practitioners of the
other physical and biomedical sciences.
- Physics extends and enhances our understanding of other
disciplines, such as earth, agricultural, chemical, biological, and
environmental sciences, plus astronomy and cosmology - subjects of
substantial importance to all peoples of the world.
- Physics improves our quality of life by providing the basic
understanding necessary for developing new instrumentation and
techniques for medical applications, such as computer tomography,
magnetic resonance imaging, positron emission tomography, ultrasonic
imaging, and laser surgery.
- National programs to improve physics teaching at all levels of the
- Building and maintaining strong departments in universities (and
other academic institutions) with opportunities for grants to support
- Scholarships and fellowships for both undergraduate and graduate
students studying physics.
- Adequate funding for national laboratories and the formation of new
ones as appropriate.
- Funding and facilitating international activities